[hpsdr] Janus/Ozy with Linux?

Chris Albertson chrisalbertson90278 at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 28 14:07:55 PDT 2007

There was some talk about this here a while back.
I don't know it it went any farther than that

The missing part is an kernel level audio driver.  These
are not hard to write but someone who has the required
hardware needs to be motivated to do the work.
I think most Linux users are waiting for
Mercury/Penelope and don't need J/O. pro-quality
audio interfaces are working fine for them.

The other option, other than writing a device driver,
would be to change the USB interface
such that J/O presents itself as a USB Audio Class device
then there would be no need for drivers and J/O would
"just work" on most platforms including Windows, Mac OS X,
Linus, UNIX and so on.  I think this would be the ideal
way to go as it would kill all the birds with one stone.
And they'd stay dead because the drivers for talking to
Audio Class Devices are maintained by others.

The trouble is that this would require  a re-write
of much of what is in the FPGA andLinux ALSA drivers are
easier to write.

--- Rob Frohne <frohro at wallawalla.edu> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Is there software to use Janus/Ozy with Linux?
>
> 73,
>
> Rob, KL7NA
> --
> Rob Frohne, Ph.D., P.E., Professor