[hpsdr] Pandora Update and Question

Graham Haddock KE9H at austin.rr.com
Tue Sep 4 08:45:48 PDT 2007

Ben:

Were you planning to accommodate ALEX inside the Pandora box?

I am still a few weeks away from having an "alpha" build information
package available, but as it has evolved, it is not an ATLAS bus-plugged
board,
but inside its own metal box, which contains two 10 cm x 16 cm
PC boards.  It will have nine (!) BNC connectors that will extend through
the real panel, two vertical rows of four and five connectors each.

The box will be controlled by an eight wire ribbon cable that connects
through the front of the box, that connects to one of the other boards
that is on the bus.

Looking at your box, you seem to have a flat panel on one side that
I assume is where the power supply will be located.

My thoughts would be to have another flat panel on the other side of
the box, big enough that it would cover (or actually replace) the end
plate of the Hammond box (or Euro equivalent) that ALEX is mounted
in.  I am using the same BNC connector that Lyle used on Pandora.
The physical mounting of ALEX could be the four corner screws
that would go directly through the plate into the Hammond box, assuming
that the mounting plate was strong enough to hold it. The nine
BNC connectors would protrude through holes in the plate.

The dimensions of the Hammond box are on the ALEX Wiki page
at the bottom.

--- Graham

==