[hpsdr] Pandora Update and Question

Thompson_Peter at emc.com Thompson_Peter at emc.com
Tue Sep 4 09:56:31 PDT 2007

My A/J/O combo is mounted inside a standard computer case that I
modified as needed.

1) The case is a tower case but I'm using on its side so that the ozy
and janus boards are vertical.
2) Atlas's mounting holes lined up with two of the holes intended for
mounting a PC mobo - I drilled two additional holes and support atlas
here with nylon standoffs; the original two mount holes are raised and
don't require the standoffs.
3)The board edge slots did not conveniently line up with ozy and janus
so I took drastic action and removed all the vertical sections with a
Dremmel tool, leaving a rectangular opening allowing access to the board
edges.
4) I'm using a regular PC power supply and have not noticed any RFI
issues (I have compared against a linear supply that I can use as an
alternate that has +/-12v, +5 and did not notice any advantage to using
this.
5) I plan on installing a cabinet fan (real soon...)
6) I'd like some method to anchor the boards so that I could use the
cabinet in its normal orientation if desired - it works fine in its
current orientation but I don't think ozy and janus would tolerate the
weight of the various connectors & cables if they were horizontal,
without some top edge support.
7) I do plan on putting the steel outer case back on one of these days
but have been running it with no more shielding that the inner case
provides and have not noticed any RFI issues - I have my SDR-1000 and
its PSU stacked on top of this case.
8) I drilled a hole in the case and installed a miniature toggle switch
connected to atlas to turn power on/off.

This was only intended as a temporary solution until something better
comes along but it seems to be working well - and there is quite a lot
of additional space remaining in the event something else needs to go in
there.

Pete, N3EVL