[hpsdr] Pandora Update and Question

Orval Chadsey n6ozi at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 4 19:29:12 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 20:27 -0500, Ben Hall wrote:

> It's an option, that's for sure.  I'm not optimistic that small-run
> circuit boards will be cheaper than small-run metal pieces - I've bought
> small-run boards of my own design from SparkFun (www.batchpcb.com) and
> they've been pretty expensive - like $20 for a 2" by 3" board?  Now,
> I'll admit, I have little pricing data for small-run metal pieces, but
> front-panel express quoted an early prototype slotted end panel at
> around $40 for the whole 9" by 5" (more or less) panel.

> thanks much,
> ben

Hi Ben,

Something else to consider is how easy it is to incorporate text
labeling onto the pcb pattern compared to sheet metal.

I 'think' that the pcb shops use a milling bit to cut over-sized and
non-round holes and to shape the edges. Check with your preferred shop
and see if they have a cheaper price for radiused inside corners versus
sharp 90 degree corners.

--
Orval Chadsey  N6OZI
San Francisco, CA USA