[hpsdr] Small Loop Antenna

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Thu Sep 20 00:58:44 PDT 2007

Hi Ken,

Congratulations!!! Sounds like a fun add-on to the HPSDR!

Dpending on the interest, you might consider another strategy:
- Put the source code of the PIC on a website (HPSDR)
- Design your PCB with the Express-pcb and put the design-file on the
website
(There are other similar possibillities, e.g. posting the PCB in
gerber-format....)

Just a thought...

Furthermore: Would it be possible to miniaturize the loop to, let say
e.g. 1 foot? This would make a nice in-house antenna :-)

Good luck, 73 Jeroen PE1RGE

Ken Klein wrote:

> Hi all;
>

> A few months ago, I published to the list a proposal for a small
> transmitting loop antenna which would be automatically tuned by
> snooping the SDR for frequency information and tuning a resonating
> capacitor on the antenna using a PIC processor and servo motor.
>

> At the time, it was just a proposal and as a proposal, interest wasn't
> terribly high.  However, I continued to work on the project and now
> have some success to report.
>

> To quickly recap the project, a PIC18F4321 takes frequency information
> from the Atlas backplane that is encoded in 39-bit binary in I2S
> format.  Once received from the bus, the frequency is decoded to form
> an index into a 2K-entry lookup table which translates the frequency
> information into a motor position.  The PIC drives a stepper motor
> coupled to a 22-turn vacuum capacitor to a pre-calibrated position
> which resonates the antenna at the DDS frequency of the SDR.  Voila !
> A small loop antenna that always stays in tune with the SDR.
>

> To do the project, I had to learn PIC assembly programming and the
> IDE.  (In retrospect, I wish I had forked over the do-re-mi for a C
> compiler and done it in C, but the code is stable and operational, so
> it's going to stay in assembly.  (But a word to the wise for any
> future projects, do it in C, for gosh sakes!!!)
>

> Last night, using a 3-foot diameter loop made from 5/8" copper
> plumbing tubing and a 100pf vacuum cap, I was able to calibrate across
> the entire 20-meter band and load the antenna with an SWR of 1.1:1 or
> less.  After calibrating, I was able to tune across the band with the
> SDR, while the antenna followed the SDR frequency perfectly, staying
> always in resonance. (The SDR antenna tuner was disabled.)  Needless
> to say, I'm delighted with the results.
>

> I'm at the point now of wanting to lay out the final PWB for the
> project, and thought that I would ping the group and see if there is
> enough interest in making this a full-fledged project.  If so, I'll be
> glad to document the design, code, PWB layout, mechanicals, parts
> list, part sources, cost, operation, programming, and anything else
> interesting about this project.  I would also consider handling a
> group buy for the PWBs or even a kit.
>

> I've tried to make the project as generic as possible, so that someone
> could duplicate it with their own antenna without having to code from
> scratch or redesign the mechanicals.  I think the design could easily
> be adapted to any antenna at all that could be tuned with a stepper
> motor and variable cap or variable inductor.
>

> I understand that future projects using the Atlas bus will also
> continue to transmit frequency information on the backplane in this
> same format.  No changes will have to be made to interface future
> HPSDR receivers and transmitters.
>

> So let me know if you guys want me to take this project to the next
> stage and lay it all out for you.  Personally, it's been a really
> [...]

Ing. Jeroen Bastemeijer

Delft University of Technology
Department of Electrical Engineering
Electronic Instrumentation Laboratory
Mekelweg 4, Room 13.090
2628 CD Delft
The Netherlands

Phone: +31.15.27.86542
Fax: +31.15.27.85755
E-mail: J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
GPS: Lat N52.00002 Lon E4.37157 Alt 46.2m