[hpsdr] Blocking dynamic range of SDR

Chris Stratton cs11102 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 22 12:55:31 PDT 2008

With regard to Marco IK1ODO / AI4YF's measurements at

http://www.spin-it.com/download/SDR_RX_measurements.pdf

>For an SDR receiver, the blocking dynamic range is
the >distance between
>the ADC full scale (clipping) level and the noise
floor.

I'm not sure I agree with that, as it seems to assume
that the ADC is perfectly linear, which we know it
isn't.

I believe you would need to measure the noise floor in
a filtered bandwidth at some spacing from a high input
signal that is simultaneously present to get a true
measure of blocking dynamic range.

If you measure the max signal before clipping, and the
noise floor separately, then what you've measured is
the ordinary dynamic range, not the blocking dynamic range.