[hpsdr] Embedded DSP

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Thu Apr 10 06:45:02 PDT 2008

> I am interested in developing a small portable HF/SSB rig using up to date
> techniques such as DSP for the audio signal processing. HPSDR and PC based systems
> are too big. A critical factor would be power consumption.
> I am looking for a DSP module to incorporate into such a system...
> Any ideas for this?

Three possibilities come to mind immediately:

1) < URL:http://www.soc-machines.com/product/P1_Specs/P1_Processor.html
 > for about $125.  Uses free Linux-hosted tools.

2) < URL:http://www.tapr.org/kits_dspx.html > the DSPx is about $110.
This was used in the Buccaneer project from VK6APH and VK6VZ featured in
the July, 2005 issue of RadCom, and is used in the Pic A Star project as
well.  Uses free DOS-hosted tools.

3) Microchip's dsPIC series are low cost and use free Windows-hosted
development tools.  Not sure about a specific embeddable module. <
URL:http://www.microchip.com >

Disclaimer: I designed the DSPx and supply it to TAPR.

73,

Lyle KK7P