[hpsdr] Mercury sampling rate

Alberto I2PHD i2phd at weaksignals.com
Sat Apr 12 08:37:39 PDT 2008

Henry Vredegoor wrote:
> Hi Alberto,
>
> Isn't this an issue with matching the SDR hardware's (Mercury's) sampling
> rate to the common SDR programs possibilities wrt. sampling rate ?
> Aren't these most of the time fixed to common soundcard standard sampling
> rate's? (like 44,1 - 48 - 96 - 192 Ks/sec etc.)
>
> Henry.

  Hi Henry,

    well, I can speak only for Winrad, but I think that the sampling rate used by a software program is determined only
by the HW at hand. within limits. When the pgm opens a sound card, it sets its sampling rate to what the user asked for
and the card is capable of supporting. The numerical value of that is irrelevant for the program, it just has to use it
in its further computations.

So a program that supports Mercury has just to ask the HW which is the sampling rate du jour, and simply use it, be it
44100 Hz or 111111 Hz (as in the case of the SDR-14, among others) or 1 MHz as in the case of Perseus.
The sequence 11025, 22050, 44100, etc. etc. is a constraint for the sound card only, not for the SW.

At least that is how Winrad works, but I am sure it is not the only one.

73  Alberto  I2PHD