[hpsdr] Mercury sampling rate

Alex, VE3NEA alshovk at dxatlas.com
Sat Apr 12 10:12:51 PDT 2008

Hi Alberto and others,

Resampling by a factor that is an integer power of two can be implemented
more efficiently than resampling by an arbitrary rational factor, using a
so-called octave resampler. This resampler is based on a half-band filter,
that is, a filter whose cutoff frequency is exactly 1/2 of the Nyquist
frequency. The even coefficients of a properly designed half-band filter are
zeros and thus the number of required multiplications is reduced by a factor
of 2. The source code of my octave resampler used in Rocky, Faros and CW
Skimmer is available at (http://www.dxatlas.com/dev). This resampler is used
to quickly convert between the 3/6/12/24/48/96/192 kHz sampling rates. The
only place in my software where a rational-factor polyphase resampler is
used is the interface with SDR-IQ because this radio has a non-standard
sampling rate.

All modern soundcards, including the on-board ones, support the sampling
rate of 48 kHz. The choice of a standard sampling rate in Mercury was a
smart decision that can result in more efficient signal processing in the
software.

73 Alex VE3NEA