[hpsdr] Call for Vote on list reply configuration

Don Jackson AE5K ae5k at hpsdr.org
Thu Aug 7 14:29:37 PDT 2008

As mentioned in my previous message, as list administrator I am calling
for another vote to settle the matter of this list configuration on how
a reply to a message is handled.  Instructions for voting follow a brief
presentation of the issue.  Sorry this is so long and if you are not
concerned about the configuration, just ignore and delete.

There are two ways to handle the generation of the reply address:

(1) Clicking "Reply" will put the original message sender's email
address in your "To:" box; that is, if you try "Reply" to this list
message, my email address should appear in your "To:" box of the reply.
  This is the present configuration of this list.  Clicking on "Reply
All" to this message should add the list address of "hpsdr at hpsdr.org" to
the box as a "cc:".  For the sake of discussion, we'll call this "method 1".

(2) Clicking "Reply" will put the "hpsdr at hpsdr.org" list address in the
"To:" box.  For the sake of discussion, we'll call this "method 2".  Our
list is NOT configured this way at present.

This list has been configured with method 1 as we took a vote on the
issue a couple years ago when the list was started.  We are now
revisiting the issue since it seems to pop up periodically -- and taking
another vote on it.

There are pro and con arguments for each method:

Method 1 allows for easy private reply to the sender and not the whole
list.  It also provides for sending to the list (reply all) but then the
original sender gets two copies of the reply.  As has been pointed out,
it takes just a couple mouse clicks to eliminate the duplication.
Another disadvantage of this method is often the reply *should* go to
the whole list and does not.

Method 2 insures the "Reply" goes to the list -- sometimes to the
embarrassment of the replier as he intended the reply to be private.

It has been argued that with ordinary non-list email, method 1 is the
way it works with just a "reply" to the originator; and if the replier
wants others to see the reply, he uses "reply all".

With just a couple clicks of the mouse, the administrator can change the
configuration instantly for a "Mailman" type discussion list.  He can
also mess with the "Reply to" address in the header, but this is
ill-advised due to other complications and considerations -- I will NOT
do that.

VOTING
======

Since "digest" form subscribers are not concerned with this problem,
their votes will not be counted.  If you do not post messages to the
HPSDR list, you should not care, so save your vote; same with those who
have no preference.

You must send your vote to one of two special temporary email addresses
and you MUST use the return email address you are subscribed to the list
with.  Unless you can be verified as subscriber, your vote will not be
counted.  Likewise, duplicate votes will be discarded, so don't vote for
both and don't try to skew the voting by voting more than once.

AGAIN, let me repeat: DO NOT REPLY TO THIS discussion list / reflector!

Instead, if you favor method 1 (present configuration), send an empty
email to this address: vote1 at hpsdr.org

If you favor changing to method 2, send an empty email to this address:
vote2 at hpsdr.org

Don't bother to put in any message in the body as I will not read it. If
you must put in a subject, put in vote1 or vote2.  Voting will close at
1800 UTC Wednesday August 13 (2008) unless extended due to
server/internet/email problems.

I will announce the totals and either leave or reconfigure our list
accordingly.  Any questions (I hope not) please email me privately.
Individual voters will not be disclosed, only the grand totals.

Don AE5K
HPSDR discussion list administrator