[hpsdr] Penelope PTT

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Tue Aug 19 11:58:02 PDT 2008

You're not going to like my answer, but I'd say use Windows XP.  The
USB2 stack in Win2K is a bolt on and it's performance is
miserable.  During the original development of Ozy and Janus I ended
up moving to XP to get away from perf issues in the Win 2k USB2
stack.  Moving to XP made things much better.

The reason for making PTT dependent on HAVE_SYNC was to avoid leaving
an external amp keyed down in the case of the PC hanging up and going
away.  We're trying to have the hardware do the right/safe thing even
if the PC blows up.  That being said, I don't think  we need to
declare the PC broken after 1 lost sync, think adding some sort of
moderate timeout in there to deal with a occasional dropped frame
would be a good thing.

One other suggestion - try running PowerSDR at higher than normal or
real time priority (there's a drop down for priority in the setup pages).

Regards,

Bill (kd5tfd)