[hpsdr] Mercury works!

Rick Hambly (W2GPS) w2gps at cnssys.com
Sat Dec 27 18:55:15 PST 2008

All,

I have two Atlas/Ozy/Mercury/Penelope stacks. For what it's worth, I have
Mercury in the first slot (nearest the power connector), Penelope in slot
three and Ozy in slot five. A pair of powered speakers is plugged into
Mercury's J10 (Line Out) jack. For testing I used a very expensive Agilent
lab power supply but then I switched to a very low cost linear supply for
operation and things worked just fine.

The first goal was to get both Mercury boards working, which I did. The next
task was to get the Mercury V2 code loaded and tested. Thanks to Phil's Dec
27th teamspeak tutorial and my Altera USB Blaster I have that working, too.
Phil's tutorial saved me from making a stupid mistake and so saved me
valuable time. The result is that both Mercury boards are working very well
and they are enjoyable to listen to on all bands.

One of my Penelope boards is working well. The other is not. I had a failure
of U6, the OPA2674IC/D transmit output amplifier. The replacement part is on
order so this should me only a minor inconvenience. Next I need to rig up a
T/R switch so I can make some contacts.

So for those of you having difficulties rest assured that things can work
and work well. Press on.

Rick

W2GPS