[hpsdr] Mercury Day 2

FRANCIS CARCIA carcia at sbcglobal.net
Sun Dec 28 10:12:12 PST 2008

GM all,
Well Phil reports I may have a bad relay on my board making it unable to select the pad on the input. Last night I looked under the scope and measured the pad. 50 ohms on each side to ground so it is a pad. I was pretty tired but need to look again today.
I'm using all linear power supplies so things are pretty quiet. Look at CTRSurplus on ebay. I bet you can get 3 linears for under $40.
I was tricked a couple times changing bands and modes when the AGC-T level changed on its own. Keep an eye on it if the radio goes quiet.
My CPU horse power is in the 13% range so not much work going on.
So far under poor conditions Mercury seems to work better than my QSD set up.
My Racal RA6830 could pull an AM signal out while the QSD just produced noise. Mercury seems at least equal to the Racal so far.
Leaving speakers connected to Janus made me feel quite stupid. frank