[hpsdr] Can anyone help?

Bob Cowdery bob at bobcowdery.plus.com
Mon Dec 29 12:03:27 PST 2008

To all you software guys out there.

Has anyone tried, played with or preferably used in anger, Ice from
ZeroC - http://www.zeroc.com/. It's a comms backbone which takes its
roots from CORBA and DCOM but claims to be the working implementation of
everything they got wrong! If it does what it says on the tin it could
make a very nice bus for the software equivalent of HPSDR. Attractive
features are highly performant (their words), cross platform and
language bindings to C++, C#, Java, Python, Ruby, VB and a few others,
and its GPL otherwise I wouldn't bother to mention it.

I did quite a lot with CORBA in the early days and liked having services
defined by interfaces. Ice retains that feel and has code generators
that create the boiler plate from the IDL. It feels quite familiar to me
but I think the real advantage would be language interop in a
distributed environment without having to map through some other
language to get there. Yes, there are all sorts of caveats around how
types are marshaled and the real world may be just as complex as doing
it some other way. The examples are quite succinct but the user guide is
long! That's why I want to know if anyone has experience before I waste
time.

Thanks for any replies. Opinions welcome if you have a few minutes to
scan over the site.

73
Bob
G3UKB