[hpsdr] HPSDR Projects

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Mon Dec 8 09:30:56 PST 2008

Hi Graham,

First, let me say that I am not questioning the usefulness of your amp
project.  I am sure plenty of people will be interested.

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Graham <KE9H at austin.rr.com> wrote:
> Hi Phil:
>
> Great comments.
>
> My first question is "What is the old process?"
>
> You seem to have one in your mind, but I suspect that
> it dates back to early in the group.  Being fairly new to
> HPSDR (about 20 months), I have never seen any
> process description on the wiki/web site, or heard any
> discussion about it.
>
> I suspect the majority of the 850 or so email subscribers
> are in the same boat, since there was only 100 or so when
> HPSDR got started.  You also have a brand new web-master.

The process that you followed in proposing ALEX on the HPSDR list is
what I has in my mind.

> A little process can go a long way.  A lot of process
> can turn a cutting edge $200 GPS into a $15,000 FAA
> approved GPS for your airplane, that is introduced
> with software capability that is 5 years behind the consumer models
> when it is finally certified. (I'm a little process guy.)

Yes, thanks for lecturing us... ;-)

> As far as PennyWhistle, when three people asked me to
> put it on the website for other people to see, I put it on.
> (The web master was one of the three who asked.)
>
> There has been some discussion of it on the
> Team Speak discussion on Friday night  (Saturday 0200 Z).

Someone should rename that from "Flex Radio Friends" to HPSDR discussion...

> As far as how do you get on an Alpha build?  I think
> that is project leader's discretion.  Phil is one, because he
> is as close to a system integrator as we have.  Bill T is
> one because he is the only guy doing public support for
> software for HPSDR that I know of, and everything affects
> the software. Dick is one because he was collecting parts
> to go do something similar, and was ready to contribute.

If you are footing the bill for the alpha parts, then no one is going
to argue with that.

> PennyWhistle is something that I was doing for my own purposes,
> and Phil thought I should share it with the group.  I assume that
> the majority of the people really want a 100 watt or 1500 Watt PA.
> I suggest they take that up with the project leader for THOR or
> TYRANOSAURUS-REX.  But while they are waiting for those
> projects to go into production at TAPR, they might want
> something quick and easy to get on the air with, that won't
> cost too much.

For future projects, the courtesy of a heads up on the HPSDR list
would be great even if it was discussed in private.  This at least
allows the possibility of a few of the 800+ subscribers to the list to
contribute something useful.

> Let the discussions begin.
>
> --- Graham / KE9H

Phil N8VB