[hpsdr] Sasquatch II

Ronald Cox w9kfb1 at mac.com
Thu Dec 11 02:07:56 PST 2008

To all Sasquatch II hunters,

I am also one of the lurkers following the Sasquatch discussion with
interest and also one that has all the HPSDR modules offered by TAPR
running in the shack now or on order. I find it interesting and
expected that with all the excellent talent working on these projects
very little progress is evident with regard to mechanical engineering.
All things mechanical seem to be on the back burner with little signs
of life. Why is this important to Sasquatch? Well you are talking
about buttons and knobs, enclosures and styling that are not the
strong talents of this group. I have been building TAPR projects since
the original TNC2 and have been a life member of AMSAT (# 185) for
most of the years of its existence. I would really be pleasantly
surprised if anything happens here with regard to buttons, knobs and
enclosures. That said, what do we need in Sasquatch? I would say that
a clearly documented and well publicized user interface so anyone
inclined to develop a human interface of any kind could do so with the
assurance that it will work reliably. What has been privately
discussed is using an extension of the Kenwood (TS-2000?) "Computer
Control Commands" which I understand to be a sort of de-facto standard
among radio developers these days. PowerSDR already has implemented
some of this, but I think it would be a real great step forward if
such an interface could be defined in the early stages of defining
Sasquatch.

Ron, W9KFB