[hpsdr] Penelope: what do I need to built my own?

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sun Dec 21 16:39:14 PST 2008

Hi Henk,

So far I've built all the prototype HPSDR boards by hand using a x10
microscope and a fine tip soldering iron.

For the FPGAs I flood the PCB where the part is with flux from a pen
and then use the flux to 'stick' the part in place whilst I get it
positioned correctly.

Then solder corner pins and again flood the rest of the pins with
solder flux. Then solder the rest of the pins - I do them one at a time
- don't add any additional solder, just reflow what is already on the
pad. I place my iron on the end of the pin and watch the solder reflow.
  When done gently poke between adjacent pins with a tooth pick and
look for any unsoldered pins - touch up any pins that move.

A cheap microscope is a good investment for this type of construction.

BTW, I have been approached by a commercial manufacture to produce
Penelope boards - more details in the new year.

73's Phil...VK6APH