[hpsdr] MERCURY

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sat Dec 27 15:28:01 PST 2008

Jerry:
Comments embedded below:
--- Graham / KE9H

Jerry Flanders wrote:

> Do we have a "Penelope/Mercury for Dummies" book?
No. Mercury docs are a few days away.  Mostly read the email discussions
in the
last few days, read the Ozy/Janus docs, ask for help when you  hit a wall.
Maybe we need to compile a FAQ of the common problems people have
run into.  My HPSDR email of  12/26/2008 1:29 PM (CST) addresses most of
the issues that have hung people up.  I'll expand and re-write it if I
see other common
problems.

> Do we need filters on the output of Penelope to put it on the air?
Penelope is FCC legal at the max 1/2 watt power level it puts out.
Any linear amp. you put after Penny is likely to need harmonic filters.

> Do we need filters on Mercury to attenuate unwanted "subharmonic" (or
> whatever it is called) responses?
It depends what your antenna system is feeding to Mercury.  I am running it
without input filter on a low multi-band dipole, and it generally works
just fine.
It is a pretty robust receiver, barefoot.
If you are close to a broadcast transmitter location, or you have a high
wideband antenna, your results might be different.

==