[hpsdr] [Discuss-gnuradio] Intel Atom is NICE.

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Mon Dec 29 19:02:13 PST 2008

Agreed, I'm sure the demand for GPU-like resources will continue to grow,
but it will be met by what we would call massively-multicore CPUs rather
than by dedicated chips sold by the nVidias and ATIs out there.  Everything
else in the history of small computing has gone that way, so there seems no
reason to argue against the tide.  Those "MMC" CPUs will have flexible
memory architectures that you don't see in dedicated graphics processors,
and that'll make all the difference.

Intel actually positions Larrabee as a GPU, but that's a marketing faux pas,
IMHO.  It will come out looking like an expensive, low-performance GPU, and
people will see it that way without noticing that it represents a new
direction for PC CPUs in general.  Should be entertaining to see how it
plays out.

Re: the GPIB stuff, I've started to go back and put some work into
supporting lower-end, older spectrum analyzers, now that most of the apps
support most of the 90s-vintage HP/Tek/Advantest models.  The last build I
posted will actually capture screen dumps from the earliest Tek 492P/496P
analyzers, which took some doing.  Even the phase-noise app runs on those
now to some extent.  I've done most of what I wanted to do with GPIB, so I
plan to add some support for baseband PN analysis with sound cards, and
baseband-to-HF analysis with (e.g.) the SDR-IQ.

There are numerous apps that all support different instruments, but in
general the user guides for the 3 main apps linked from
http://www.ke5fx.com/gpib/readme.htm have up-to-date lists of supported
devices.

-- john, KE5FX