[hpsdr] Adding Penelope to the mix...

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Wed Feb 13 21:39:03 PST 2008

Hi Mike,

A very warm welcome to the group!

We planned to support an EER PA from Penelope in the following manner.
We can provide three DC coupled DACs that will provide say a 2v peak
envelope. Each envelope can have a different phase relationship to the
RF phase carrier since I understand that may be required for a
multi-stage EER amplifier.

Bill, KD5TFD, has modified PowerSDR so that we can get the signal
envelope and arctan(Q/I) over USB into Penelope when on Tx.  I can use
these in the Penelope FPGA to provide the necessary envelope signal and
phase modulated carrier.

I've built a very simple 50w 160m Class E PA that can be directly
driven by Mercury and the next step was to build a simple analogue
modulator to provided the necessary PA drain volts.  With that working
I was going to look at a PWM modulator along the lines that you are
working on.

However, it seems for some reason folks want to purchase Penelope and
Mercury boards :) so I have had to stop development on the PA circuit
for the time being.

I understand that one potential problem with a PWM modulator is getting
the output volts to follow the modulating signal at low levels. One
design I tried give 100v peak OK but would not drop below about 8v.

If you would like a copy of my 160m PA circuit or any other information
please let me know.

73's Phil...VK6APH