[hpsdr] PWM / PDM

mike mj.hamel at verizon.net
Fri Feb 15 06:06:19 PST 2008

Hi Francis,

I am interested in what solutions you may have to the depth of
modulation problem. I had been thinking (at least in my prototype) it
was that the control loop error amplifier is not a "rail to rail" type
and that it might be solved by offset biasing to keep the PWM in its
most linear range.

I built my first solid state KW for commercial use around 1983 using
MRF428s and the Motorola app notes. Pretty amazing work Helge Granberg did.

Very nice work you guys have done. I'll take another look at Steve's site.

I have a paper you might be interested in (not on this machine though)
by Su and McFarland of HP describing a delta modulator that is supposed
to get around this problem. It is intended for low voltage on-chip
application, but the conceptual block diagram might be of use scaled up.
You should be able to find it with a google search if you're interested.

Keep us posted on the buck modulator progress. Sounds pretty cool.

73,

Mike
WO1U