[hpsdr] QSD architecture and image suppression

Oleg Skydan oleg at skydan.in.ua
Wed Feb 20 21:48:31 PST 2008

Hi, Bob, Anti and Phil!

Thank you for your comments. And special thanks to
Phil for the numbers - that was exactly what I needed.

I was interested in those numbers as I have some plans to
start a new transceiver. So I had three alternatives:
1. Use traditional superheterodyne architecture with
DSP at low IF (just as my current design).
2. Use QSD/QSE architecture for the frontend.
3. Use DDC/DUC architecture.

I have several goals for the new design. Particulary
the image rejection should be more then 90-100dB.
It can be easilly achived with 1st and 3td architecture, but
I can not use high speed ADC with more then 12 bits
(export regulations), so DDC architecture can not be
used.

It looks like I will use the traditional superheterodyne
with low IF DSP.

You can find my site here http://t03dsp.skydan.in.ua
The information is a bit outdated - there were many changes
since the last site update. The new DSP block with faster
and better ADC (CS5381) and DAC (CS4392) and new
processor (DSP56367). The FST3125 based first mixer.
The new control block and front panel (you can see the
picture of it here http://skydan.in.ua/downloads/NewTrcrv.JPG).

All the best!
Oleg
73 de UR3IQO