[hpsdr] QSD architecture and image suppression

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Wed Feb 20 21:26:06 PST 2008

Hi Oleg,

I'd like to add my warm welcome to group as well. I've also followed
your work for some time and it would be great to have you participate
in the various HPSDR projects.

Bob, N4HY, has replied to your question regarding image suppression
from a theoretical perspective so I would like to address what is
presently being achieved in practice.

My own measurements on QSD based receivers indicates that it is
possible to achieve >90dB of suppression over a narrow bandwidth if a
manual or automatic adjustment is made at a single frequency. If such
adjustment is made as say the edge of a ham band then the suppression
drops to typically 40-45dB at the band edges.

Software that enables correction to be made across a band, such as
Rocky, does much better than this. However, since this software is
aimed at the SoftRock range of radios, that typically do not have any
isolation between the QSD and antenna, then changes in antenna SWR etc
can significantly degrade the suppression.  Also whilst this technique
is effective over a single band I'm not sure how effective it would be
for a multi-band radio or one that covered the entire HF range.

There was some work started some time ago to model the impulse response
of the receiver by injecting a series of very narrow pulses into the
antenna socket.

Given the impulse response I gather that it should be possible to
accurately compensate for I and Q amplitude and phase errors.

I'm not sure what the current progress of this idea is and perhaps
others can comment as to how successful this is/was.

 From my own perspective, since there does not so far seem to be an
effective solution, I've been working on DDC and DUC radios since image
suppression is usually not an issue with such technologies.

73's Phil...VK6APH

Quoting Oleg Skydan <oleg at skydan.in.ua>:

Hi, All!

I have seen a lot of different projects/radios based on QSD.
I understand that most parameters can be at a competitive level with
traditional designs, but it is still not clear for me
how well the image suppressed?

I understand that you can get a very good image suppression (80-100 dB
is real) for the limited time with stable temperature and etc. But I
wonder how well the image is suppressed with all this parameters from
the real life (at least with time/temperature influence)?

All the best!
Oleg
73 de UR3IQO