[hpsdr] CVCSO-914-1000

Grant Hodgson grant at ghengineering.co.uk
Mon Feb 25 03:50:24 PST 2008

The CVSO-914-1000 is certainly a good part, but being SAW based means
that the close-in phase noise is not as good as a well-designed crystal
oscillator such as the ones that Chris GW4DGU has recently reported.

My quick calculations suggest that using the CVSO would worsen the phase
noise by about 8-9dB or so, compared to using a crystal oscillator at
116MHz and then using the 9912s on-chip PLL clock multiplier.  If an
external x8 multiplier were used, the resultant phase noise would be
slightly better, but for now I believe that the working assumption for
Phoenix is to use a VHF crystal oscillator with the 9912 PLL.  This is
felt to be a good compromise between performance/cost/complexitiy/design
effort etc., and should result in an LO that will outperform the Orion
on all bands at all carrier offsets, with the exception of 28MHz at
offsets closer than about 1kHz or so - and even then Phoenix should be
better than the SDR-1000 and hopefully better than the Flex 5K.

My personal belief is that it is the close-in phase noise that
determines the 'quality' of an LO; it can be a particularly difficult
parameter to optimise, and can also be quite difficult to measure.  But
the effects are real - poor close-in phase noise on either transmit or
receive can cause interference with only a single, strong signal on the
band.  So it's worth spending some time and effort aiming for a very
clean LO; Phoenix should in theory be able to do this.

regards

Grant   G8UBN