[hpsdr] Fixed SAW Oscillators

KA2WEU at aol.com KA2WEU at aol.com
Tue Feb 26 23:56:00 PST 2008

In a message dated 2/27/2008 3:17:42 A.M. Westeuropäische Normalzeit,
chris at chris-bartram.co.uk writes:

If  it's designed well, a low-noise VCO based on a quarter-wave ceramic
coaxial
resonator could be locked to the 125MHz oscillator using a sampling phase
detector (or a suitable harmonic mixer...). I'm still working on that. A
phase/frequency detector isn't suitable and a divider chain would have its
own noise contribution. If the loop bandwidth is kept reasonably large and
the oscillator stays within the lock-in range of the loop, that could make  a
relatively simple and compact 1GHz reference.

Vy  73

Chris
GW4DGU

That is correct, a harmonic sampler/mixer and a VHF crystal like 125 MHz
based, and a modern multi resonator based VCO will do the trick. I never need
exactly 1GHz but some offset to avoid spurious signals.

73 de Ulrich, N1UL

2050827?NCID=aolcmp00300000002598)