[hpsdr] A proposal

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 08:23:26 PST 2008

Hi Bob!

Sorry I did not comment on this earlier! As with Ken N9VV, I think this is a
splendid idea, and I would be interested. I got into the SDR arena about 5
years ago with my purchase of the wonderful SDR-1000 thinking that I would
like to dabble in the S part of the DR. I was soon consumed by ALL the
aspects of SDR and the wonderful contributions totally talented folks like
yourself and many other 'movers' of the paradigm were contributing. I don't
think that I will 'land' on, or become an expert on one particular aspect
even now, since it is ALL so thrilling. However I would be very interested
in exploring Erlang with your assistance, as you have proposed here! Even if
I come off with just a basic guided understanding of the language, it should
be fun, and get me beyond the "Hello World" stage with some language!
(smile)

Hopefully you have not been 'put-off' by criticism, since I think the
majority of folks, who might be interested, would gladly compensate you for
your efforts. Especially the trivial sum you proposed. Plus which, if one
pays for something, then you indeed have people who are interested and not
just wasting time, and recognize the value. Anyone who has followed your
work knows full well that you are fully capable of teaching this.

I had not 'played' with Skype for some time, and still have Teamspeak
conferencing available for anyone for world wide collaboration, which is
free to the user and can support up to 100 connections. You are perfectly
welcome to use the Teamspeak tool. Combined with some form of WebEx or video
conferencing tool, this would be a really good combination. Also I might
suggest that if you are still interested in doing this, we could do a
'signup expression of interest' on Dale's WA8SRA Hamsdr website as we have
done with the HPSDR projects boards, and other offerings over the years. Run
the list for several weeks and see what interest there is, and give you time
for preparations and plans. I have not asked Dale about this in advance, so
I can't promise, however, he has always been willing to work with me and
others on the projects page. That will at least give you an 'interest' list
to gauge the number who voluntarily, might be interested. Secondarily it
does build an e-mail list which if handled securely can keep the interested
folks informed of schedules etc directly.

In any event, thanks for offering and also thanks for all the contributions
and exciting stuff you have presented and done for SDR over the past years!

Thanks
Eric - AA4SW