[hpsdr] A proposal

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 11:17:23 PST 2008

Frank and I both believe similarly on these matters.  If you can take
the work we have given away, use it in a way that is consistent with the
GPL, does not violate our copyright, and make BAZILLIONS of dollars, do it.

We are just not interested in constructing lots of educational materials
to meet all needs.  I want everyone to buy my Iranian professor
friend's  LuLu  published SDR book for either a) $13 for the download or
b) $25 for the paperback.

I strongly encourage you not to distribute the $13 pdf illegally.
Behrouz has performed a great service to students (in schools,labs,  and
hobbyists) by doing this.

That said,  a series of lectures constructed on work that I participated
in producing (GnuRadio) has received tens of thousands dollars in a
single week for the author of the course.  I know,   my peers and I paid
him to put on the course (my company did) because I refused to take the
time to do it and it needed to be done.

I encourage Bob to do the lecture series and I encourage him to charge
the least amount possible for the course BUT I DO ENCOURAGE HIM.

GPL does not mean free as in air or even beer.  It means free as in
speech.  GPL adherents DEFINITELY believe in making money with GPL
software.  Just follow the rules.

73's
Bob
N4HY