[hpsdr] Insertion attack on hamsdr.com

Jerry Flanders jeflanders at comcast.net
Sat Jul 12 14:24:23 PDT 2008

At 03:51 PM 7/12/2008, Graham KE9H wrote:

>Dale:
>
>Is there something we should look for, or scan for on our machines?
>
>Do you know what the script attempted to download to the computers
>that visited the site?
>I am clean according to both Symantec antivirus and AVG, but there are forms
>of Malware that won't necessarily be spotted by those scanners.
>
>Thanks,
>--- Graham / KE9H

Somewhere I picked up a recent infection that repeatedly popped up a
warning that my machine was infected and I should let Windows go
somewhere and download a file to fix it. I spent hours trying to
discover what it was so I could deal with it and eventually
discovered it was loading a "braviax.exe" program, which was
apparently responsible.

I have no idea where the infection came from. Might have been HPSDR, might not.

It was difficult to deal with - I could not get spybot-search and
destroy to run while it was present. I finally downloaded spy-doctor,
which ran and found it. It appears to be an adware program, trying to
sell me something to remove itself.

BTW, it still tries to load every time I reboot!

Jerry W4UK