[hpsdr] Insertion attack on hamsdr.com

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 14:44:03 PDT 2008

http://www.bigdadgib.net/2008/02/23/braviax-exe/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Defender

it seems braviax.exe is attributed to Ultimate Defender on some sites.

>From the Wikipedia description, it appears Ultimate Defender is a rootkit,
not unlike the junk Sony tried to sabotage our computers with a few years
ago on a CD.

This is almost OT but since it concerns the site,  I hope we are forgiven.

Bob

ARRL SDR Working Group Chair
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"Trample the slow ....  Hurdle the dead"

------ snip ---------

Somewhere I picked up a recent infection that repeatedly popped up a
warning that my machine was infected and I should let Windows go
somewhere and download a file to fix it. I spent hours trying to
discover what it was so I could deal with it and eventually
discovered it was loading a "braviax.exe" program, which was
apparently responsible.

I have no idea where the infection came from. Might have been HPSDR, might
not.

It was difficult to deal with - I could not get spybot-search and
destroy to run while it was present. I finally downloaded spy-doctor,
which ran and found it. It appears to be an adware program, trying to
sell me something to remove itself.

BTW, it still tries to load every time I reboot!

Jerry W4UK

HPSDR Discussion List
To post msg: hpsdr at hpsdr.org