[hpsdr] 2008/May/24 FRF TeamSpeak audio - dropouts

Mike Naruta mnaruta at comcast.net
Sat Jun 21 08:33:24 PDT 2008

Thanks to those who asked direct about my
configuration.  Sorry for the delay in
responding.  We had a death in the family
last month and everything got pushed aside.

This past TeamSpeak session I ran a second
PC with TeamSpeak at the same time.  Both
PCs had 2% to 4% packet loss.  The only
thing in common between the two PCs are:
running Grisoft AVG 8, they are using the
same router, they are both using Comcast
broadband.  Is anyone else getting drop-outs
and delayed packets with Comcast, or TeamSpeak?

I watched the router activity lights and
also was able to use Mozilla to reference
web sites without any effect on the packet
loss.  No big loading issue.

The second PC is an AMD Athlon XP 2400+
2 GHz, 1 GB, XP Media Center SP2.  The PC
is stock plus Firefox, AVG 8, and a fresh
download of TeamSpeak.

First PC: running Windows XP Home Edition, SP2
Pentium 4 1.60 GHz  1 GB RAM
Grisoft AVG 8
Windows Firewall (now turned off)
No ASIO or VAC; the Flex Radio is on a
different PC.

TeamSpeak 22.0.32.60
In TeamSpeak the settings are:
Sound Driver: Wave Intel(r) Integrated Audio
Bandwidth: Unlimited (I tried others during
a TeamSpeak session, and the lower were worse)
Process Priority: now set to High

MS Process Explorer showed plenty of idle time
and made sure that AVG wasn't doing a scan.

In case it was a file system overhead issue,
I purged files off my hard drives, did a
defrag (they needed it), turned off Restore,
powered down my cable modem and LinkSys router,
did a PC cold start and just ran TeamSpeak.

Still 5% to 6% packet loss on me.  I pulled
the LAN connection to my IRLP to make sure
it wasn't dragging my Comcast broadband down.

Still, every 3 seconds there would be a
dropout on Teamspeak.  I used to have 1% or
less packet loss before.  I listen to NPR
frequently and don't have dropouts there.
Watching the router and cable modem, the
data lights don't have a heavy duty cycle,
as when I'm downloading a file.  Very
puzzling.

Mike - AA8K