[hpsdr] Janus-Ozy Sound Card Driver [WDM]

Richard Faust dick_faust at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 2 12:57:21 PDT 2008

Thank you for the background and information.  All of it is most helpful.

Most seem to have missed the reason for wanting the driver - perhaps due to a narrow focus on Flex hardware.  So I will be explicit - I want to use my $250 + 'Sound Card' for other purposes, such as Rocky, Ham Radio Deluxe, various available T&M DSP software for Oscilliscopes, etc - all of which require a WDM driver to use the AK5394 on Janus.
Lyle [KK7P] seemed to notice though when he replied "...Mercury may not need Janus, but any QSD/QSE system could certainly use it."  Let us think outside the 'Flex box' for a moment.

To make the Janus-Ozy hardware usefull for other purposes, it appears from Phil's spec that the four output channels and four input channels would be more than enough and the control data could be eliminated, because there will not be any Flex hardware.  I would be satisfied with just the AK5394 inputs and use the PC sound card if I needed any outputs [this could be a starting point driver or a minimum implementation].  Other points of view would be welcome.

If the present driver programs could be used with the FX2 program on Ozy to handle the information flow then the same [or similiar] code from PowerSDR could possibly unpack/repack and make the connections with windows - perhaps I am over simplifying.

If it is necessary to use an implementation with net.framework and exsisting code, that would work too - I would prefer to keep net.framework off my other PC's but I will still need it on the one using PowerSDR.  If it is running in the background windows will control its use.

I am still willing to take a shot at this, and I was not interested in the ASIO driver - but someone else might like that project.

Regards,

Dick Faust K9IVB