[hpsdr] How to fry Penny/Ozy

Kevin - M0KHZ m0khz at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jun 10 01:17:54 PDT 2008

Charlos Potma wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Last night one of my old and trusted HP power supplies failed in a
> spectacular way:
> the output voltage went from 12V to 40V. The result was a sputtering and
> smoking Penny output stage, popped capacitors on Atlas and
> some components damaged on the Ozy board.
> Lesson learned: do NOT trust your power supply. I need to build
> a dedicated supply now with overvoltage protection on all outputs...
>
> 73, Charlos Potma, PA3CKR

Charlos
This is VERY unfortunate, hope you have a speedy recovery, over voltage
protection on Demeter is a must.

I'm still running on a 120W Pico supply, but really not sure if it'll
cope with Mercury when she lands, so I've been thinking about supplies
recently, with no conclusion as yet.

73's
Kevin - M0KHZ