[hpsdr] Problem with Penny!

PETER BUCK peteg3lwt at btinternet.com
Mon Jun 23 07:07:21 PDT 2008

Hi Phil & All,

  Thanks for quick response! After I sent the mail, and then read your reply, I remembered some while back problems with PowerSDR in another context with SDR-1000. The solution may be of some help to others.
  If there is a lot of USB traffic, some not related to PowerSDR, then PowerSDR may play up in various strange ways. This happened with the USB adapter for the SDR-1000, and now a similar problem (in terms of symptoms) can occur with HPSDR and its USB driver. My set up is Penny/Ozy on Atlas, USB2 to a 6750 Core 2 duo based computer with 4 GB RAM and fast graphics card with 1G memory. This should easily cope with PowerSDR, - and it does - CPU load is never more than 10% with two full screen dispays operating.
  However, I am also running Phil C's QS1R as receiver - also generating lots of USB traffic of course. I have now discovered that if I load and run PowerSDR with Penny fired up, there is no problem, and the SDRMAXII software can then be loaded and run with no problem either. If I try to start PowerSDR with SDRMAXII running,then the problem with loading PowerSDR occurs.
  With either programmme running on its own, CPU load is about 10% maximum, but the two together give a 50% CPU load - a fight is on in the USB traffic!
  Provided care is taken with the load sequence, I can now get over 0.5W output from Penny without problems, using only the drive control, - use of drive per band settings is not necessary. Thanks for your comments and hope my findings are of some use.
  Pete, G3LWT

Phil Harman <phil at pharman.org> wrote:
          Hi Peter,

  I hope Bill can help you with the software problem, I'm using the same version of PowerSDR and do not see that issue.

  The present code in Penelope should allow you to get 0.5w out with the ALC running. Have you tried adjusting the per-band gain in PowerSDR to get some more drive or are you finding that the ALC is restricting you to 140mW?

  73's Phil...VK6APH