[hpsdr] HPSDR + TAPR + MERCURY

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 06:42:32 PDT 2008

Gerd:

I am really sorry that this has gone so far off the rails.  Let me try
to give you the "view from 3048 meters (10000 ft)".

I am not on the TAPR board and I have not been very active in doing
HPSDR design work but I am a big supporter of both TAPR and HPSDR and I
am privy to a lot of what goes on.  Rick Hambly and I, two of the senior
officers  in AMSAT,  have strongly supported both TAPR and HPSDR in this
endeavor.  HPSDR is officially supported by AMSAT because we asked the
AMSAT BOD to make it so.  They graciously listened to us and without
dissent, supported the projects.  The people doing HPSDR design work are
allowed to use AMSAT design tools, which are approaching a million
dollars in value if not more ( in other words, worth less every day) and
AMSAT invested in the outcome of the project by putting up money to help
TAPR do the first builds.

When this exchange started,  I asked several developers if we should use
your layout because I knew of the delay in Lyle being able to finish
because of serious work pressures.  This question was answered quickly
to me.  I do not believe it has been answered quickly enough to you or
this group.  I will give you my personal interpretation of events.  I do
not speak for TAPR or HPSDR.  I am speaking as an individual and
hopefully one that you and others will listen to and trust that I tell
you the truth as I see it.  This is not an official statement of any
kind but I believe it to be the truth.

BEFORE your effortson Mercury were widely known (if at all),  the future
of TAPR's efforts on the Mercury board was completely determined and
TAPR did not even have a controlling voice in it.  Steve's note to the
HPSDR group was entirely too legalistic for people to read behind the
words so let me pull back the curtain.

HPSDR is <<NOT>> TAPR.  Steve made that clear.  HOWEVER,  TAPR is bound
by the licenses granted by the developers.   The individuals involved,
in support of HPSDR, who have done the design work for Mercury decided
jointly what the license would be.  They are of the opinion, as
individual, that the best thing for them to do is to give TAPR the right
to produce their work.   TAPR gladly accepted this offer since it helps
them recover the serious costs of taking the risk of spendings thousands
of Euro's on the boards, parts,  build, etc.  Having spoken directly
with all of them,  including Phil Covington,  they agree that they
jointly decided and believe that this is the best approach for all.  THE
INDIVIDUALS are in control.  Not TAPR.  TAPR is bound by the licenses
they have granted to it.

Phil Covington,  with whom I have spoken at length about this and whose
work I support as strongly as possible (professionally, personally,
etc.) is STILL a strong supporter of the effort.  They all weighed in
with their opinions that this was THEIR choice and TAPR is following
their lead.  They believe that all of us are best served by a large
buy.  TAPR has no interest in profits.  Its mission was, is, and
continues to be exactly what the TAPR sent here through Steve.  To
support interesting technical projects.

I feel badly that your feelings have been hurt in this matter.  I do not
approve of how the answers have been given to you since they are
absolutely and completely defensible, justifiable,  and lest there be
any doubt,  supported almost unanimously by the other developers and
parties to decision making here.  I support the right of the individuals
involved to license their work ANY WAY THEY CHOOSE.  They have chosen.
TAPR is bound by their choice.  I claim that TAPR is beyond any possible
reproach in this.  When the license was placed on the efforts for
Mercury,  TAPR had not yet been granted access by the parties to produce
the hardware and this was done LONG before your layout efforts went
forward.  So, you have addressed your request to the wrong parties.
Having talked to them, I do not believe that have a reason and should be
expected to change their original thinking.  I believe things have
progressed too far.  Lastly, TAPR cannot give you permission to produce
the boards.  They have no rights to do so.

Bob