[hpsdr] HPSDR + TAPR + MERCURY

Roger Hayter roger at hayter.org
Tue Mar 18 14:00:13 PDT 2008

In message <47DFC6C8.10006 at gmail.com>, Bob McGwier <rwmcgwier at gmail.com>
writes

> [...]
>not speak for TAPR or HPSDR.  I am speaking as an individual and
>hopefully one that you and others will listen to and trust that I tell
>you the truth as I see it.  This is not an official statement of any
>kind but I believe it to be the truth.
>
>BEFORE your effortson Mercury were widely known (if at all),  the future
>of TAPR's efforts on the Mercury board was completely determined and
>TAPR did not even have a controlling voice in it.  Steve's note to the
>HPSDR group was entirely too legalistic for people to read behind the
>words so let me pull back the curtain.
>
>HPSDR is <<NOT>> TAPR.  Steve made that clear.  HOWEVER,  TAPR is bound
>by the licenses granted by the developers.   The individuals involved,
>in support of HPSDR, who have done the design work for Mercury decided
>jointly what the license would be.  They are of the opinion, as
>individual, that the best thing for them to do is to give TAPR the right
>to produce their work.   TAPR gladly accepted this offer since it helps
>them recover the serious costs of taking the risk of spendings thousands
>of Euro's on the boards, parts,  build, etc.  Having spoken directly
>with all of them,  including Phil Covington,  they agree that they
>jointly decided and believe that this is the best approach for all.  THE
>INDIVIDUALS are in control.  Not TAPR.  TAPR is bound by the licenses
>they have granted to it.
>
>Phil Covington,  with whom I have spoken at length about this and whose
>work I support as strongly as possible (professionally, personally,
>etc.) is STILL a strong supporter of the effort.  They all weighed in
>with their opinions that this was THEIR choice and TAPR is following
>their lead.  They believe that all of us are best served by a large
>buy.  TAPR has no interest in profits.  Its mission was, is, and
>continues to be exactly what the TAPR sent here through Steve.  To
>support interesting technical projects.
>
>I feel badly that your feelings have been hurt in this matter.  I do not
>approve of how the answers have been given to you since they are
>absolutely and completely defensible, justifiable,  and lest there be
>any doubt,  supported almost unanimously by the other developers and
>parties to decision making here.  I support the right of the individuals
>involved to license their work ANY WAY THEY CHOOSE.  They have chosen.
>TAPR is bound by their choice.  I claim that TAPR is beyond any possible
>reproach in this.  When the license was placed on the efforts for
>Mercury,  TAPR had not yet been granted access by the parties to produce
>the hardware and this was done LONG before your layout efforts went
>forward.  So, you have addressed your request to the wrong parties.
>Having talked to them, I do not believe that have a reason and should be
>expected to change their original thinking.  I believe things have
>progressed too far.  Lastly, TAPR cannot give you permission to produce
>the boards.  They have no rights to do so.

Not having been involved in this I am genuinely curious.  Are the
developers making the circuit diagrams for Mercury open source/copyright
free?  If so, presumably anyone can lay out their own board, make it and
sell it.  Will Mercury be produced under the Open Hardware Licence, or
the non-commercial variant thereof, which would allow anyone to use the
design files to produce their own board?   I haven't formed an opinion
on whether I think this should be done, but I am interested to know the
answer.  I very much doubt if anyone could compete with TAPR on price
from within the EU, but I suppose someone might want to make their own
board.

Roger, GW8BFO

>Gerd Loch wrote:
>>

>>> Please keep in mind that TAPR is run by volunteers and has limited
>>> resources.  TAPR simply cannot take on all projects.  Therefore, the
>>> designs that are more thought out, prototyped, vetted and peer reviewed
>>> will stand the best chance of funding and manufacture by TAPR.  The
>>> ultimate goal we hope for both communities is advancing the radio art.
>>>

>> HOW DOES THIS STATEMENT FIT TO THE FACT THAT TAPR IS NOT GOING TO USE MY
>> LAYOUT OF MERCURY? THE MAIN REASON IS TO KEEP ME OUT OF THIS PROJECT!
>>
>> I HAVE STARTED TO LAYOUT MERCURY BECAUSE I COULD NOT SEE ANY ACTIVITY FOR
>> ABOUT A YEAR AND THERE WAS A RUMOR AT LEAST IN MY SURROUNDING THAT HPSDR
>> WOULD BE DEAD SINCE PHIL COVINGTON WENT HIS OWN WAY FOR WHATEVER REASONS
>> WHICH I DO NOT KNOW.
>>
>> I HAD OFFERED MY LAYOUT TO TAPR FOR THE AGREEMENT THAT I AM AUTHORIZED TO
>> PRODUCE AND SELL A SMALL NUMBER OF BOARDS AT COMPARABLE CONDITIONS BUT TAPR
>> WANTS TO DO THE EXCLUSIVE BUSINESS AND IS THEREFORE INVENTING THE WHEEL
>> MERCURY-PCB A SECOND TIME!
>>
>> THAT IS NOT THE BEST WAY IN ORDER TO SUCCEED QUICKLY.
>>
>> 73, GERD
>> DJ8AY

Roger Hayter