[hpsdr] HPSDR + TAPR + MERCURY

George Medakovich George at Medakovich.com
Tue Mar 18 17:01:49 PDT 2008

Well, the hpsdr project homepage says the project is using the GNU
General Public License for software
and references the TAPR Open Hardware License, which, as I read it, says
anybody can build the hardware
that is under the OHL, etc..

The essence of this being an open project, for me as a lurker, is that
anyone can contribute and otherwise
kibbitz, learning and helping in whatever large or small way they can.

With software projects we are accustomed to seeing source code beginning
with the earliest stages and the
incremental changes that bring the project to fruition.  I would suppose
that with hardware, you might expect
to see early schematics, block diagrams, pcb layouts and other such
design products in a similarly
progressive stream, although there is no rule about how often updates
need to be published.
(Obviously this is a new experience for me.)

So, maybe there is a little anxiety as the Mercury project progresses
that the publicly visible part of the
project has not progressed even as we seem to be approaching early
stages of pcb design.
It would be nice to see what specifics we are currently looking at, if
only confirmation that nothing has
changed since last May.  And for those of us who are not yet Verilog
experts, it would be fascinating to
see what the current source looks like.

I don't want to slight the enormous contribution that the main
participants are making to this project, as a
hobbyist I can stand in awe and appreciation of the amount of
engineering expertise and investment of
personal time that is going into this effort.

Would it be possible to see some early pcb layouts and source code for
Mercury published on the wiki
and a little more public discussion of what is happening with this project?

George, ae5ci