[hpsdr] HPSDR + TAPR + MERCURY

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 17:32:05 PDT 2008

George Medakovich wrote:

> Well, the hpsdr project homepage says the project is using the GNU
> General Public License for software
> and references the TAPR Open Hardware License, which, as I read it, says
> anybody can build the hardware
> that is under the OHL, etc..
>
> The essence of this being an open project, for me as a lurker, is that
> anyone can contribute and otherwise
> kibbitz, learning and helping in whatever large or small way they can.

Both the OHL and more restrictive NCL version allow just that.  You can
take any piece of the hardware design and use them personally.  With the
OHL,  you can build a product and sell it commercially.  With the NCL,
it is not practical for this because you are limited to ten a year (or
something like that) without permission of the developers.  This was
openly discussed here.  The schematics,  layouts,  BOM, etc. are or will
be made public.  They are not NECESSARILY available for all purposes but
your stated purpose is covered under all licenses.

I think you will not be disappointed.  The stated performance for these
boards based on the use of the new Linear Technologies A/D offerings,
etc. are good.  The code is GPL and the hardware is "open for inspection
and personal use".

Bob

definition, not smart enough to debug it." - Brian W. Kernighan