[hpsdr] Question about modules

Greg - ZL3IX zl3ix at inet.net.nz
Tue Mar 25 10:07:13 PDT 2008

Hi Mike and Greg,

No you do NOT need Alex for use with Penny.  Both Phil VK6APH and I are
using Penny on its own.  The broad band noise floor is down around -150
dBc/Hz, and the spurious products are low enough not to cause a problem.

I believe (Phil put me right if I am wrong) that the idea of Alex is to
protect the Mercury Rx board from strong interferers in high population
areas.  Personally I am using a cobbled together version of Mercury with
high pass filters to keep out local BC interferers, and it works
perfectly well.  In Eu and the US the 41m BC stations will be much
louder than in OC and may be a problem.  The limiting factor on Mercury
is ADC overload, so as long as the combined signals from the BC
interferers are below this level, all should be well.

73, Greg, ZL3IX