[hpsdr] 2008/May/03 FRF TeamSpeak audio

Mike Naruta mnaruta at comcast.net
Sat May 3 19:27:19 PDT 2008

The 3/May Flex Radio Friends TeamSpeak
zipped mp3 (49 minutes) plus a text file
of channel comments is available at:

< http://www.hamsdr.com/dnld.aspx?id=798 >

or

< http://www.hamsdr.com/dnld.aspx >

Sorry to be a little late.  Just before
the TeamSpeak session started, I was called
out for an overturned tanker with a small
leak of anhydrous ammonia.  The tanker was
on the expressway near a mobile home park.
It was morning before I returned home.

Something to keep in mind is not to be a
quicker-picker-upper.  I was in contact
with the MCP on 2 meter FM on my way to
one of the shelter sites to supply
communication.

A traffic net started on the repeater.
Net control was unaware of the hazardous
materials operation and evacuation.  I arrived
at the shelter location and traffic net
control was still reading his "preamble"
speech.  He made a call for check-ins,
and I tried to call in.  He repeated back
a long list of check-ins and my call
wasn't there.  He made a second call for
check-ins and I called in.  He repeated
back another list of calls and mine wasn't
there.  He then went to the first station
who started yakking.  I tried to interrupt
when that station ended, I tried to break
in when net control turned it over to the
second station.  In frustration I resorted
to using my HSEM 800 MHz digital walkie
talkie to contact the MCP and report in.
How embarrassing when we have been trying
to demonstrate the advantage of ARES/RACES.

DXing and contests have taught us how to
be quick on the PTT trigger.  This technique
isn't necessary in the other aspects of ham
radio.  I have been training myself to wait
for one second after the other station
finishes before I transmit.  I'm surprised
how it has made my ham radio experience richer.

And net control stations, please shorten
your preambles; we're in communication,
not broadcasting.  Also, consider taking
check-ins in groups of three and reading
back the call signs after each group.
That way a caller knows whether he's been
heard without waiting until net control
stops taking check-ins.

Mike - AA8K