[hpsdr] Janus-Ozy Sound Card Driver [WDM]

Richard Faust dick_faust at hotmail.com
Thu May 29 22:36:48 PDT 2008

A few weeks ago I noticed a note in the Tapr Status Register, a comment by Scott WA2DFI "...that we need someone to write a sound card driver."  Scott replied to my query that no one has done that yet, but if I post a suggestion of a software project here, I should have a great deal of support [most likely only if I volunteered to lead the project].  So this is my THIRD post [one in Nov 07, another in Jan 08]. Is any one interested in a Windows WDM driver for the Janus-Ozy system ?  It appears that the need for Janus will diminish when the Mercury board appears.  There is much software that could use the hardware if only a WDM driver were available. I have collected some Windows DDK's and SDK's and looked at several Cypress design aids.  If an English specification and a reasonable technical description [again in English not another software language] were available, the task does not appear to be impossible.   I also looked at some commercial tools like Jungo [suggested by Cypress], but they are very expensive for a license, which must be renued annually.  The demo actually made a file that was recognized as a sound card, but much of the initalizing and USB values were not correct. I assume this would need to be done in C, and my 1980's Bordland Turbo C probably would not be suitable any more, so any suggestions [excluding M$ C# & other Studio 2005 on products]. Perhaps some one has actually done this already and this project would be unnecessary. If there is no interest, I will not bring this up again. 73, Dick Faust K9IVB