[hpsdr] Mercury & PowerSDR

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Thu May 1 18:29:16 PDT 2008

Hi Peter,

Subject to someone making the necessary changes to PowerSDR then that
should be quite possible. I can't see any immediate reason why we can't
run a Janus card on an SDR1000 and Mercury at the same time. We will
need to alter the protocol that is used over the USB link to the PC but
that should be quite straight forward.

I would also expect that PowerSDR could be modified to run a FLEX5000
and Mercury - but that may be a reasonably complex modification to the
PC code.

On the subject of multiple receivers, a future feature of Mercury will
be the ability to run multiple, independent, receivers. The limiting
factor will be that these are all sharing the same ADC and hence the
same antenna. If you use a multiband beam say, or trapped vertical (or
rhombic!)  then you could monitor multiple bands at once. Alex provides
numerous antenna switching options so using a wideband Rx antenna(s)
but transmitting on a monoband one will be supported.

Again a future feature will enable multiple Mercury boards to run
together which will provide full independent receive capabilities in a
cost effective manner.

The real limiting factor is a volunteer(s) to make the changes to the
PC software to support these features since both Bill KD5TFD and I are
fully occupied with rolling out Penelope, Mercury and Alex.

73's Phil...VK6APH

<Since Flex have announced the second RX option for the 5000 and PowerSDR
now has the capability to support two receivers, I'm wondering if it
will be possible to treat Mercury similarly e.g. have Mercury as the
second RX in PowerSDR that is also connected to an SDR-1000 or
FLEX-5000.

Pete, N3EVL>