[hpsdr] Cyclops 1st LO VCO

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Wed May 7 06:39:43 PDT 2008

It all comes down to how much complexity you want in the design.  You should
be able to reach HP 8566-level phase noise performance with those Synergy
parts that Chris mentioned, and for many people who want a spectrum
analyzer, that will be good enough.  I wish the Synergy VCOs were more
widely-distributed!

An optimal design would use several good VCOs to cover the required octave,
but that gets very complicated, very quickly.  Spurs are likely to be a
problem if you don't make arrangements to power down the VCO(s) that are
unused at any given time, and of course the loop-filter tweaking process is
more laborious as well.

-- john, KE5FX