[hpsdr] newbie questions

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Mon May 12 21:42:49 PDT 2008

Comments in line below

At 12:57 PM 5/12/2008, Greg Clark wrote:

>There is lots of really good detailed information on the individual
>Penelope / Janus / Ozy boards, and I'm very glad that we have it, but
>I have a couple very simple questions:
>
>1) I have all three of the boards above as well as the atlas
>backplane.  Do I need to use the Janus board?  Do I use the PC sound
>card instead?  Can I use the Janus if I want to instead of the PC?  I
>guess I'm a bit confused about the use of the Janus board.  Do I need
>it? or should I get out my Delta 44?

For a pure transmitter you don't need Janus - you can use the mic
input on the Penelope board, and make the appropriate selections on
Setup->General->HPSDR.

However, if you're going to do receiving as well  then you will want
to use Janus -- if you use any other audio input card Penelope will
not work since we'll not be sending the Audio data thru Ozy.

>2) Until Mercury is available, can I integrated my SoftRock V6.2 board
>into the mix?  Is there a "how to" describing how to hack this into
>the Penelope / Janus / Atlas combination?

Hmm ... I've done this with an SDR 1000,  connect receive output of
SDR 1000 to Janus and use Penelope as xmitter,   but I suspect the
current software may have a glitch with the Soft Rock.  The glitch is
this - for the Soft Rock we vary the IF to receive since we can vary
the mixer frequency.  I'm not sure what the code will do when
Penleope and soft rock is configured .. good chance we'll use the IF
frequency for the Soft Rock and not the direct freq Penelope
needs.    Will have to add this config to the list of things to think
about a bit.