[hpsdr] Penny SW / Softrock

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Thu May 15 21:37:02 PDT 2008

Comments in line  -- Bill (kd5tfd)

At 08:42 PM 5/14/2008, FRANCIS CARCIA wrote:

>Tonight I got Penny software up and running with Softrock at 455
>KHz. Works fine.
>Next I will install Penny and give it a run when I get some free time.
>Thoughts
>1. Do I run Split VFO to control Softrock and Penny

Running Penny and a Softrock may be a bit weird with the current
software.  I think the SW will only allow you to set VFOs to Soft
Rock center freq+/- sampling rate/2  and I suspect there will likely
be some IF issues as well since  the SW will be offsetting the IF to
match the SR center freq even for transmit which is not what Penny
will need.  SR + Penny is not a configuration I've given much thought to.

>2. Will Penny work as a broad band signal source? Say I wanted to
>run it at 455 KHz as an exciter. How about signal generator functions?

Yes.  The hardware is capable of just above DC up to about 60
MHz.  PowerSDR software will limit you to the ham bands.  SIg Gern
stuff could be done with appropriate software.

>3. What about the Lowfer guys on 500 KHz and 137 KHz?

I'm pretty sure Penny can get down to 500 or 137 khz.  Phil H would
know for sure - but I believe he's in Dayton this week.