[hpsdr] 2008/May/17 Dayton TeamSpeak audio - preliminary

Eric Ellison ecellison at gmail.com
Sun May 18 14:24:55 PDT 2008

Mike

Thanks very much for posting as always!

Folks, the best way to 'keep up' on the latest of developments in HPSDR is
probably to join the Saturday 0100 sessions on Teamspeak or listen in to the
audio that Mike graciously posts here the next day.

Phil Harman, Bill Tracy and a number of other developers have only been
'away' from these Teamspeak sessions for vacations and business trips in the
past THREE YEARS! Phil and Bill especially are firstly entertaining and
HIGHLY informative! Phil and Bill have been involved in every HPSDR project
from the beginning, they ALWAYS give an update on testing and progress on
the various boards and projects, code and troubleshooting. If you can't join
us Sat at 0100 Z. Then indeed listen to the audio.

Mike: I tried everything I could again to get Teamspeak going from both
Dayton (A total bust), and at the Flex Radio function at U of Dayton. I had
great direct Internet connectivity from the theatre AV Booth but could not
get any meaningful audio from the large mixer board the student helper was
working. I ended up trying wireless from the stage with a notebook mike
taped to a stage prop right in front of one of the monster speakers. Problem
was (again like last year) marginal wireless connectivity.

I am afraid my video recording of this event has such low audio that it
might be unusable. The Q&A period might be OK since I moved my camera down
to the stage floor.

The Flex Radio dinner was great! Presentations and Q&A were also
interesting. I've not missed one yet! (and probably never will!) I would say
that this is the first year that the gala was attended by the "Who's Who in
Amateur Radio", as well as those just getting into SDR! There were some Very
'leading questions'!

(Soapbox)
I've moderated the SDR conference in Dayton for about 4 years now. This is
the FIRST time that SDR has been appeared in any forum outside SDR forums!
SDR is 'hitting the 'mainstream - main interest' venues at Dayton! I guess
that you REALLY know you have started to 'chip away' at the core of change
when they organize 'against change' and complain about "Change".  Like
AM'ers vs SSB'ers of old"! I thoroughly enjoyed the Contesting forum
immediately following the SDR forum! What exciting fun and a celebration
Alex - VE3NEA is. Although not the presenter, took SDR and used it! Hey
guys! We NEVER go backwards, or we would still have "Spark"!! Deal with it!
Digital Down Conversion done in an FPGA attached to a high speed A/D
converter is NOW! Goodbye IF/Conversions! Goodbye QSC/QSE! I will ALWAYS be
excited by being able to copy CW at (err... well... best case) 40 WPM! What
a language!  Go listen to Frank Brickle's presentation, if you want to
REALLY see what is coming and already possible! Also Check out Phil
Covington, if you want to read the writing on the wall.

I video recorded most of the TAPR and SDR presentations and I am hoping they
will come out OK~. Will post to Hamsdr.com as I have time to edit.

DAYTON WAS A BLAST! MERCURY and PENELOPE 'chatted' with each other on 40
meters across the TAPR booth! I think they fell in love as expected. From
the 'spike' I saw in Merc's middle it sure looked like he was mighty
responsive to Penny! I know that it turned ME ON!  What a wonderful
synergistic group you folks are! WE ARE producing something wonderful!

Thanks
Eric - AA4SW