[hpsdr] Mercury Noise/Sensitivity

Greg - ZL3IX zl3ix at inet.net.nz
Mon May 19 01:45:27 PDT 2008

Hi Gerd,

Sorry for my late comment on this question, but I have been away on
holiday.  I did not see a comment from any other list member, so let me
share some thoughts with you.

You are correct that the quantisation step for this ADC is 22uV.  There
is a formula that states that the RMS quantising noise is equal to the
quantising step divided by root 12 (3.5), so in this case the quantising
noise would be about 6.6 uV.  This however, is spread over the whole
Nyquist bandwidth, or half the sampling rate.  To find the noise floor
in uV per root Hz, we would therefore divide by about 8000, giving just
less than 1 nV/root Hz.

There is a catch to this theory though.  The ADC is not a perfect
converter, and other noise sources have to be taken into account.  These
noise generators are in the front end of the ADC.  Some manufacturers
use a parameter called ENOB or Equivalent Number of Bits.  This factor
is calculated using the actual observed noise figure of the device, and
is always smaller than the resolution of the device.  For example, a
16-bit device may have an ENOB value of 12.5 bits.

The practical noise figure of the LTC2208 is around 29 dB, which means
that about 17 dB of gain is needed in front of it to achieve the 12 dB
noise figure normally considered adequate for HF operation.  This limits
the dynamic range at the top end of course, as strong signals are 17 dB
closer to causing an overflow.

ADC's suitable for HF direct conversion have had this kind of noise
figure for about 10 years now, little progress having been made in this
area.  Any improvement that will be achieved in Rx BDR will need an
equivalent improvement in noise figure, or in the ENOB parameter if you
prefer to think of it that way.  What has improved quite considerably in
the last 10 years, is the Spurious Free Dynamic Range (SFDR).  The
LTC2208 is the best of the bunch for SFDR, leading to its choice for the
Mercury project.

I hope that goes some way to answering your question.

73, Greg, ZL3IX