[hpsdr] Strange question about Penelope

Alberto I2PHD i2phd at weaksignals.com
Mon May 19 13:42:18 PDT 2008

Nobody answered the question I posted a few days ago, probably because I wasn't clear enough.
Let's try with different wording.
Is it possible to use the Penelope card with a process that is the logical reverse of that of Mercury, Qs1r, Perseus, etc. ?
In those receivers the signal is first digitized, then it passes through a DDC, and finally sent to the PC via the USB
port with a large bandwidth. My question is : can Penelope do the reverse ? I.e. can it accept a large bandwidth I/Q
data stream via the USB port (with the help of Ozy), bring the signal to the frequency of interest via the DUC, then
generate with the DAC the final output RF signal ?
Or is it limited to process the audio signal coming from the microphone input ? Is it just a matter of reprogramming the
FPGA, or are there hardware changes involved to do what I am asking about ? Thanks for any answer.

73  Alberto  I2PHD