[hpsdr] Strange question about Penelope

Tom Clark, K3IO k3io at verizon.net
Tue May 20 09:37:27 PDT 2008

Alberto I2PHD wrote:
> ..... The full duplex limitation is really a limitation if what one
> intends to do is to implement a linear transponder (which could also
> be an interesting application in itself), but not if you limit
> yourself to a WAV file playback.
In the AMSAT world, we (G6LVB in the UK & N4HY/AB2KT/W2GPS/K3IO in USA)
have been developing SDX (Software Defined Xponders) for spacecraft use
for several years. Just this past weekend at Dayton we demonstrated the
SDX designed for Suitsat-2 functioning as a 48 kHz-wide 70cm > 2m
transponder; this is the HPSDR project known as Odyssey (for an earlier
version, see http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=ODYSSEY).

Two versions of a more sophisticated SDX presently destined for the P3E
satellite have been done in UK & US. The US version was described in the
paper  http://gpstime.com/files/amsat/SDX_and_Future_AMSAT_Missions.pdf
and the SDX can be heard at
http://gpstime.com/files/amsat/Eagle_SDT_1st_Contact.mp3.

73 de Tom, K3IO (ex W3IWI)