[hpsdr] HPSDR / PowerSDR hardware selection

Alberto I2PHD i2phd at weaksignals.com
Thu May 22 12:43:59 PDT 2008

Lyle Johnson wrote:

> The only 32-bit floating point embedded DSP I know of that has free
> tools is the TMS320VC33 from TI, and it is "no longer recommended for
> new designs."  The part proposed for Sasquatch requires a $3,595
> compiler.  The Analog Devices floating point DSPs have the same problem,
> high dollar compilers.  The TMS320C6713 might be suitable. It isless
> powerful than the 6726, but you can always get obsolete software CD-ROMs
> on ebay for $25 or so.

I received an ad email from TI for their TMS320C6713 DSP Starter Kit (DSK), sporting up to 1800 MIPS and 1350 MFLOPS.
http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/tmdsdsk6713.html
In the marketing blurb they say that the kit contains, among other things, the
C6713 DSK Code Composer Studio™ IDE including the Fast Simulators and access to Analysis Toolkit on Update Advisor

Couldn't that Code Composer Studio be enough to develop and debug code for an SDR based on that chip ?
The price of the DSK is 395 USD, not inexpensive, but you need just one for the development...

73  Alberto  I2PHD