[hpsdr] HPSDR / PowerSDR hardware selection

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Thu May 22 10:15:00 PDT 2008

> p.s I will have another quick look at the Sasquatch wiki see how thats
> cooking.

It is comatose and has been for some time.  Unfortunately I'm too busy
with making a living these days to be able to devote any time to the
hardware design, which makes it easier for the software folks to not
program it  :-/

The only 32-bit floating point embedded DSP I know of that has free
tools is the TMS320VC33 from TI, and it is "no longer recommended for
new designs."  The part proposed for Sasquatch requires a $3,595
compiler.  The Analog Devices floating point DSPs have the same problem,
high dollar compilers.  The TMS320C6713 might be suitable. It isless
powerful than the 6726, but you can always get obsolete software CD-ROMs
on ebay for $25 or so.

AMSAT has a limited number of licenses for current TI development
software for the TI parts, but the transfer of a license from one
computer to another is onerous.

Sigh.

Lyle